Discover and explore Britain’s extraordinary history through its most beautiful lost ruins. From crag-top castles to crumbling houses in ancient forests, and ivy-encrusted relics of industry to sacred places long since returned to nature. Including over 250 ruins and 28 maps.
By Dave Hamilton, author of the Self Sufficient-ish Bible.
With a foreword by Sir Tony Robinson from Channel Four’s Time Team.
• Britain’s first guidebook to Britain’s ruins
• Detailed instructions on how to visit and gain access to over 250 hidden, wild or lesser known places (28 maps)
• Stunning photography
• Wide family appeal – cuts across generations and brings history alive – also appeals to walkers and history buffs
• Best for lists and itineraries, including for families, explorers, nature lovers, foragers, campers and days out, sunset views, legends
Includes the best:
• Ancient Ruins – Earthworks and Standing Stones
• Abandoned villages and settlements.
• Mines and quarries – Copper Mines, Tin Mines, Coal Mines
• Factories, works and quays.Steelworks, Ironworks, factories.
• Modern Military – Airfields and Gun Emplacements.
• Ancient Military and Castles – Forts, Castles and Fortified Houses
• Grand Houses and Follies
• Urbex and Modern ruins
• Religious sites
• Hospitals, Schools and Theatres